Two talks: an introduction to the POEM lab; a survey paper on story generation

Principles of Expressive Machines

Last week I gave a presentation to the first-year computer science grad student seminar on my research, AKA an introduction to the "Principles of Expressive Machines" (POEM) lab, because I am looking for students. This talk was my first attempt to organize my future research plans into something vaguely coherent and forward-looking (in more depth than my job talk described), so I thought I'd share the results of my efforts. Here are the slides:


In the talk, I outline three research agendas:

  1. Narrative knowledge representation and generation
  2. Tools for game and interactive fiction design
  3. Social multi-agent system modeling
The slides are not particularly verbose, but there should be enough in them to grant a sense of what I'm interested in.

Story Generation Survey

This semester, I'm teaching a course on Generative Methods, i.e. algorithms for producing creative artifacts -- such as stories. For the most part, students have been presenting the papers each week, but there's one fewer student than there are papers to present, so I presented this week's: A survey on story generation techniques for authoring computational narratives by Ben Kybartas and Rafael Bidarra.


The paper is a nice resource for folks looking to understand the state of the art in computational storytelling, and I hope my slides will save similar folks the effort of reading a 20-page academic article. :) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading academic papers while having ADHD

Using Twine for Games Research (Part II)

Using Twine for Games Research (Part III)